Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Keeping Company with the Dying

Not long ago late on a Sabbath afternoon, I remembered one of my church members was gravely ill. She had been gravely ill for months. For some reason that afternoon, I suddenly realized it had been a while since I had been to see her.

I went.

Only her relatives could tell that she was aware of my presence.

She died the next morning.

Today, I sat for an hour with a friend who is dying. He's been dying for two years or more. I can't stop the dying. My prayers have been ineffectual at shrinking the tumors. He says it matters that I show up.

Do you know someone who is dying?

Go see them. Today, if at all possible. Then go again and again and again.

Keeping company is something we pastors can do.

I don't understand why it matters that we do, but apparently it does.

So do it now. Don't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment