Friday, October 2, 2009

The Book that Saved my Ministry

Some years ago I read a book titled Father Joe: The Man who Saved my Soul by Tony Hendra. The book saved my soul or at least my ministry.

I’ve often gone through crises of vocation. What business do I have being a minister. Yes, I was called by God. But that was long ago and far away. How do I, a man tormented by unanswered questions and incompetent in many ways, justify continuing as a professional clergyman, taking a salary to represent God? Father Joe offered a believable answer to that question.

If you are better at encouraging the ministry of others than you are at giving orders, if you are better at giving permission than giving directions, or if you are amazed at the good things God is doing in people around you, you will probably appreciate the story of Father Joe.

I see his ministry (and--on my good days--my ministry) paralleled more closely by the story of Barnabas than the story of Paul.

My blog this week at liberaladventist is a sermon based on Barnabas. Maybe it will offer you some encouragement. But I think Father Joe would do you better.

4 comments:

  1. What if you are better at giving orders than you are at encouraging? What if you can give permission and give direction? (delegate, delegate, delegate)

    What if I'm called to be a Jeremiah, not a chaplain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then, go forth in the gifts God has given.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed - but that's what got me fired. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. When I post my "go forth" comment I almost added, "But beware that Jeremiah, Paul, Elijah and company did not get on well with their congregations." I think that "prophet" is a poor model for pastoral ministry. Beating the sheep does not work.

    Prophetic work requires a more militaristic model. Generals badger and berate their soldiers when necessary. They give orders. They drive their men into accomplishing their mission.

    I would like to visit with you (in some format that is not in the public eye) about your experience.

    ReplyDelete